Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

Floss Frustrations

Well I stitched a good part of this International Hermit & Stitch Weekend. I unfortunately don't have an updated picture of my Majestic Peacock. I worked a lot on the tail feathers and managed to find the last dark grey floss that I needed for the body at Joann Fabrics. I used to shop for floss at Michael's but I am fed-up with their floss section... I know what your saying... "Chris, please tell us all about it... you'll feel better and we love to hear your rantings..."

If you insist.. :-)

At Michael's the whole floss area is a mess and they are out of a bunch of colors all the time. Also, would it kill them to occasionally put the floss back into the right bins? I put as many back as I can when I'm there. It drives me crazy to be kitting up a project and be missing one or two colors. Am I supposed to drive across town to get those other two???

You might be asking... why don't you just shop at Joann Fabrics? Well... DMC Floss is .35 cents/skein at Michaels and .39 cents at Joann. But it just isn't woth the headache anymore to save 4 cents. I will just buy all my floss Joann Fabrics. The floss section is wonderful at Joann! Organized and stocked well. Plus the staff is nicer and much more knowledgable about sewing and stitching. The staff at my Michael's don't seem to know much of anything about sewing/stitching... Maybe they know more about crafts.

Here's my last beef with Michael's... It drives me crazy when I am in line and the checker takes 15 minutes to do one return and they won't open another line!!!!

It is not my desire to trash on Michael's in general but MY LOCAL Michael's needs to work on it's customer service!

Ok I'm done venting... Whew... I do feel better...

Of course i do really like the frames at Michael's.. and thier seasonal stuff rocks... Fine... I'll shop for some stuff there...

Maybe I'll pick up some floss while I'm there :-) I mean.... 35 cents a skein!

Happy Stitching!!!!

11 comments:

Joysze said...

I hear ya about the Michael's floss section. Sometimes I go through the top row trying to find a color. Can't wait to see a pic of peacock. ;)

SoCal Debbie said...

I have written the same thing about Michael's on my blog too, and even included a pic of the messy floss bins. They never seem to have black or white floss either. I have also driven from Michael's (35 cents) to Joann's (39 cents) just to find black floss. But I had a coupon for Michael's yesterday, 25% off entire purchase, so I bought about 40 skeins of DMC floss for only 26 cents each! I couldn't help myself and tried to put the mixed up floss away in the right bins, too. They were probably getting suspicious of me hanging out in the back aisle of the store for so long!

natalysneedle said...

Right there with you!! I have a Michaels and a Joannes that share a parking lot! I don't get that at all but Joannes has every color available and Michaels didn't even have the basic black and white let alone the colors I actually needed. By the way, where can I get my hands on the Swirly Peacock chart, I have looked everywhere.

Chris McGuire said...

natalyK,

I got tha Majestic Peacock pattern in Joan Elliott's bookazine...

Here's a link to an earlier blog entry about it..

http://crossstitchdude.blogspot.com/2011/12/joan-elliott-bookazine.html

missy-tannenbaum said...

Oh, the Michaels I go to sometimes is like that for floss, too, so I just don't get it there. I think that I did for one project, but when I got home, two of the colors had been in the wrong bins, so I just had to go to Jo-Ann's and get them, anyway. Oh, well! I guess having options is always good, right?

kate n said...

lol! Its so hard to go to any craft store and not buy something :) however much it annoys you to do so. I cant wait to see the peacock progress :)

Minnie said...

I too have a Michaels with a messed up floss section but unfortunitely there is no Jo-Anns close by, there is a Hancock Fabric very close but they don't have DMC they have Sullivan (and that's another story for another time). Good rant.

Linda said...

OMG-I read your rant and thought you are writing for me!!! I have the same EXACT gripe about my Michaels here and went through your situation only a few days ago, so I FEEL your pain!!!

On another note-nice peacock btw :))

Keebles said...

I have the same problem at my Hobby Lobby! But my OCD makes me straighten them up before I can even pick my colors, so I end up spending twice as much time getting the colors, then they have to scan each color individually! Why? Just key them in as floss x 100 and move on! I end up as the villain the line! I try to help the checker by lining them up and turning all the barcodes facing up so they can scan them easier, but it never seems to help!

Keebles said...

Oh, and they are always out of at least one or two colors!

Abbybeth said...

I love the peacock, it's just gorgeous! I might have to try to find the bookazine just for that pattern.