Pages

Friday, February 17, 2012

Corned Beef and Cabbage

St Patrick's day is a month away which means that I need to begin planning for my world famous Corned Beef & Cabbage feast...

Ok it's not "World" famous but it's famous within our family. Every once in a while I divulge my method to make it. Today is the day so here goes. This is a slow cooker recipe so you will need.... well .... a slow cooker. You really need a large one or 2 regular size cookers for this recipe.

Ingredients:

Fresh Corned Beef Brisket (I use a point cut instead of a flat cut because it has more fat marbling and therefore more flavor. If you use a flat cut, it will be leaner and a wee bit dryer but still delicious)
Carrots (4-5 large)
Celery (4-5 stalks)
Potatos
Green Cabbage (2 heads)
1 or 2 Onions (Yellow or white)
Fresh Whole Garlic
Salt
Pepper
Bacon Fat (this is NOT a low fat dish )
3-4 cups water
Fresh Ground Horseradish (optional)
Stone Ground or Hot Mustard (optional)
Mayo (optional)

I start by going all Manson Family on the brisket by stabbing it around 20 times with a medium knife all around the brisket. Then I peel the garlic and cut the cloves into quarters. I then stuff the garlic quarters into the wounds on the brisket.

Next you need to sear the brisket in bacon fat in a large pan. Be careful here with the heat of the bacon fat and the weight and size of the brisket. Use an apron and oven mitts! If you drop the brisket while doing this you will spill hot grease. I usually use tongs and a big 2-prong fork for that part. You only need to sear each side for 15 - 20 seconds.

Place the carrots, celery & potatos in the bottom of slow cooker. The brisket goes on top of the veggies and then pour the water in. I then open the spice packet that comes with the brisket and pour that into the water. Salt and pepper on the brisket and it's ready to go. WAIT: Don't forget all the brine and juices that came with the corned beef....dump those in too.

Cook on low for 8 - 10 hours or high for 6 hours. (do low if you can... it taste better when it's done)

With 3 hours left (2 if your cooking on high)... cut the cabbage into wedges and seperate. Put as much cabbage as you can into the cooker and still have the lid close all the way. Try to get as much cabbage under the brisket and under the water as possible. I actually pull the brisket out for this process but it's up to you. If you have left over cabbage it can be cooked in a seperate pan with some of the veggies and juices from the cooker.

Right before I'm ready to serve it, I mix together 2 horseradish/mayo sauces for dipping the meat in. One is mild and one is hot. The mild one just has more mayo in it. Some folks like to dip into hot or stone ground mustard.

If you make this, please let me know how it went.

Happy Stitching!!!!

1 comment:

My Dark Room said...

Your going to go "Manson Family" on the brisket??? Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Your silly!